This is a classic recipe for a no nonsense sponge cake that can be whipped up and enjoyed in no time.
what you’ll need
- 175 grams of unsalted butter (softened)
- 175 grams of caster sugar
- 175 grams of self raising flour
- x3 large eggs
- x1 tsp of vanilla extract
x2 tbsp of semi-skimmed milk
- x1 8” Greased Cake tin
- Mixing bowl
- Pre-heat your oven to 180c/350F/gas mark 4
- While the oven is warming up, beat the butter and sugar together until they are light and creamy
- Lightly beat the eggs in a separate bowl, then slowly add to the sugar and butter mix, little by little, while gently folding the mixture and occasionally sift in the flour a little at a time.
- Mix the milk and vanilla together and fold into the mixture until fully combined.
- As an alternative method You can also forgo the previous two steps and mix everything together at once using a mixer.
- Grease your tin (or use a paper cake liner) and add the mixture.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for around an hour, until the cake has risen and is golden and a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the tin for at least 10 minutes before removing and placing on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Decorate with butter icing.
This is my go to recipe for a simple sponge cake, enjoy 🙂